Pathology presents a very specific set of challenges for software engineering:
- Results must be 100% reliable.
- Security is of utmost importance.
- Integration with various external companies must be easy and fast.
- Data sent between sites must work in low bandwidth environments.
Corporate enterprises and financial institutions regularly face difficult challenges which are most often resolved (at a fraction of the cost and timeframe) by implementing customised solutions and expertise. These challenges include security, identity management, authentication key management, user security token administration and many others. Gendac has successfully aided major banks with security related projects including:
- Integrating a SAP user database with a CA Identity Management application.
- Building an interface to RACF security devices to generate secure authentication keys.
- Developing a VASCO security token authentication and administration solution.
- Providing authentication components for integration into Active Directories.
- Developing a fully integrated Stall Trader Management and Invoicing System including smart card authentication technology.
- Developing a complete Capital Investment Management System (see CIMS) with customised budget prioritisation and fitting.
Modern law enforcement systems are dependent on Information and Communication Technology (ICT) systems. Several challenges exist when integrating law enforcement with ICT systems:
- Law enforcement is only effective if the data are 100% accurate.
- Law enforcement calls for an extremely distributed and mobile capable ICT implementation.
- Turnaround times on distributed transactions must be very fast.
- Law enforcement often happens in places with bad or no connectivity, ICT solutions need to be capable of handling this intelligently.
- Data security and confidentiality is of utmost importance.
Vehicle tracking and fleet management has become a multi million rand industry. Our client, a leader in vehicle tracking and fleet management needed to upgrade their systems to handle location data of more than 50 000 vehicles simultaneously. We designed and developed custom software capable of supporting current and future growth though:
- Network load balancing.
- Server clustering.
- Route failover.
- System monitoring with problem escalation.
Call centre systems are the heart and soul of most modern service based organisations. An efficient call centre makes use of several systems:
- Voice recorders.
- Voice over IP telephony.
- Web servers.
- Database servers.
Our client needed software to control and monitor a security fence on an international border. Hardware for the fence electrification as well as intrusion detection existed. We designed and developed software that ran on a distributed network along the entire perimeter to monitor the fence and gates. A camera system was integrated with the intrusion detection system to automatically capture images at points where intruders were detected. The custom software we developed integrated with our client's hardware and enabled them to:
- Minimise false intrusion warnings.
- Report, manage and deploy software updates from a central location.
- Monitor all cameras and gates from a central location.